This tutorial will focus on exporting your Gmail hosted mail and backup the data with GoodSync to a location of your choosing.
If you haven't already, download and install GoodSync.
1) Navigate to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout?pli=1
2) Log in with the Google account that is associated with the Gmail that wish to export.
3) When presented with the options for export, click “Select None” then scroll until you see the slider for “Mail” and select it.
4) Once the slider for “Mail” is selected click “Next” at the bottom of the screen
5) Google allows us the option of choosing the size of the export, ranging from 2gb to their 50gb limit. Select the maximum size that you would like.
6) Under “Choose Destination type” we can set a destination for the data that is exported from Google. Select “Send download link via email” so that we can download the export directly to our computer.
- Download link
7) Click “Create Archive” to export the data. Google may take up to several days to compile the data and send a download link to the email that you are exporting.
Once you have received your data, we can proceed to back up the data to another location of your choosing. We will be using Google Drive as the backup location for our example. Note: for all supported locations, click here.
8) In the Job menu, select "New" or click the "New Job Button" in the toolbar.
9) In the New GoodSync Job prompt:
- Enter the name for your new Job.
- Select Backup or Synchronize as your Job type.
Next, we must select the endpoints for our job.
10) For the Left side, choose the file that we have exported from Google. To do so, check the boxes marked "Select Multiple Folders" and "Show Files and Links," then check the box next to the file.
11) On the Right side, we can choose any endpoint we desire. In our example, we will be using a Google Drive location. Note: for all supported options please click here.
12) Click “Analyze” to confirm that the exported file will be the only file moved >> click “Sync” to commit the sync.
Note: to configure the job with automation or other settings please click here.