To protect the privacy of your data on Microsoft OneDrive, GoodSync can encrypt that data with a custom key that you create. That key never leaves your device and is never shared with OneDrive ensuring that only you can gain access to that data.
Both bodies of the files and files names are encrypted.
You don't need a license to try this. You can download and run a free fully-functional trial for 30 days.
Follow these simple steps to protect your data:
1) If you haven't already, download and install GoodSync.
2) In the Job menu, select "New" or click the "New Job Button" in the toolbar.
3) In the New GoodSync Job prompt:
- Enter the name for your new Job.
- Select Backup or Synchronize as your Job type.
Next, we must select the endpoints for our job.
4) Select the left side and navigate to the location of the data that you would like to encrypt and backup. Note: in our example, we will use a local folder, for all supported services please click here.
5) If you need to connect your Microsoft OneDrive account please click here.
6) Next, select the right side and navigate to the OneDrive location that you would like to back up to.
7) Within Job Options, select “Right Side” and check the box labeled “Encrypt File Bodies and Names.”
8) Enter a password that GoodSync will use to encrypt your data. GoodSync will save that password in job settings, but you will have to remember it (write it down or use a password manager, e.g. RoboForm, to record it) in order to access that data from other devices or to allow other people to access that data.
9) To begin synchronization, the encrypted folder has to either contain no files or only contain files previously encrypted by GoodSync with the same password that you have entered. If that folder contains any other files, click on the "Empty Sync Folder" to remove its contents and prepare for synchronization.
10) Click “Test Encryption” to confirm the entered passwords match. Also, if that folder already contains files that have been previously encrypted by GoodSync, GoodSync will attempt to decrypt them with the key you specified.
11) Click "Save" to commit changes.
12) Next, click “Analyze” and “Sync” to run the sync.
Example of unencrypted data (left) and encrypted data (right):
Note: to configure the job with automation or other settings please click here.