The following use case details the steps for creating a private cloud using a GoodSync File Server.
1) Create the admin account for the private cloud. Navigate to the GoodSync File Server >> open the GoodSync application. If a job has never been configured, enter a name for a job (e.g. “test”) and press "OK."
2) Navigate to Tools >> GoodSync Account Setup.
3) If you have an existing GoodSync Connect account, you may choose the “Use my existing GoodSync Account” option. If you do not have a GoodSync account, you may create a new account for free.
You may also manage your GoodSync Connect account(s) here:
4) Click on "Serve Files from this Computer to GoodSync clients". Optional: If you would like to allow access to any network shares on the network from connecting devices, you may also provide the Windows password. Otherwise, click "Next".
5) Click “Apply” to register the GoodSync account to this device.
6) Create and register all desired non-admin user accounts to the private cloud. Click on Tools >> Server Advanced Options.
7) Provide your GoodSync Connect admin credentials to log in to the GoodSync File Server portal.
8) Click "Add new user" to register a new user account to the private cloud.
9) Under "Add GoodSync Connect Registered User," select the "Click here" link to navigate to the user account creation page.
10) Check the box on the captcha >> provide an email, password, and full name to create the desired user account).
11) Back on the GoodSync File Server, click "Add GoodSync Connect Registered User" >> enter the user account details. \
In the "Home Folder" field, specify the path of an existing folder that will be set as the user's root folder. This will limit the user's access to this location and its contents alone. Click "Save."
12) Home folders ensure proper access management. With a dedicated location for each user account, users are only able to access their own data - all other content is unavailable.
13) Repeat the steps listed above to create as many user accounts as desired.
14) Once all accounts have been created, users may access their private cloud storage by using GoodSync Explorer. GoodSync Explorer is a file management utility bundled with every GoodSync application install.
To open GoodSync Explorer, do a system search on your computer for the "GoodSync Explorer" application, and it will list.
Select "GoodSync Connect" from the drop-down >> enter the user email and password >> click "Go" to connect to the private cloud storage.
15) The contents of the user's cloud storage will list, including all files and subfolders.